At Domestic Abuse Education we are dedicated to giving back, this dedication fuels our commitment to actively support charities that are making a meaningful impact on the lives of domestic abuse survivors and their families. In 2024, our fundraising initiatives will directly benefit the following two charities:
The Angels Foundation UK
The Angels Foundation UK is a UK registered charity dedicated to supporting families who have escaped domestic abuse in Huntingdonshire. Their ‘Back to Life’ support project aims to bring comfort and hope to these families by providing essential items like furniture, flooring, and home comforts, along with social introductions to the community.
Unfortunately, challenges persist for families even after leaving their abuser:
- 98% of social housing survivors lack necessities like flooring, white goods, and furniture.
- 95% of survivors have faced financial abuse, leaving them without fund for household essentials.
- 50% of survivors struggle to afford necessities for their children.
The absence of crucial items, such as beds or a fridge, often forces women to return to abusive situations. The Angels Foundation UK support emphasises that these families are not forgotten by their community, they are not alone, and people do care.
What The Angels Foundation UK do:
- Connect individuals in need to qualified professionals specialising in domestic abuse.
- Implement the ‘Back to Life Support Project’ to assist families with essential home items, such as white goods, flooring and furniture.
- Social activities for emotional well-being and peer support, such as the monthly Angel Walk and Talks, coffee mornings and weekly support groups.
- Providing 12 weeks free counselling and group therapy through The Angels Foundation UK Counselling and Therapy Services.
- Their ‘Back to Life Support Project’ ensures families who have fled abuse do not live in furniture poverty, by providing the very basics, as recommended by End Furniture Poverty (sofa, beds inc mattress, washing machine, fridge/freezer, cooker, carpet/flooring, chest of drawers, table/chairs
Their aim is to bring hope by helping families rebuild their lives and offering a comfortable and safe place to start from.
For more information search https://angelsfoundation.org.uk/
The Mankind Initiative is the principal, expert and specialist charity in the UK focusing on male victims of domestic abuse. The charity collaborates and works in close partnership with other organisations and practitioners to support these victims too.
The first in Great Britain to support male victims; their expertise derives from directly supporting male victims since 2001, the qualified professionals who manage the charity and their board consists of the UK’s leading academics and survivors.
Three main ManKind activities:
- Direct support to male victims through a national helpline funded by donations (over 2,000 calls per year)
- Support for organisations and practitioners who want to better recognise, support and understand male victims. This is through ManKind specialist training, consultancy and support service, MIDASS and the national community and information network for practitioners that we created, own and manage, MDAN.
- Giving male victims a voice by engaging with stakeholders such as the government, statutory agencies, politicians, academia and the media.
The ManKind aim is to ensure all male victims of domestic abuse (and their children) are supported to enable them to escape from the situation they are in. We are gender inclusive in our view so we want all female victims (and their children) to escape too.
For more information search https://mankind.org.uk/about-us/about-us/.